"Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men, women, and people of most racial and ethnic groups in the United States," according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which means "one person dies every 37 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease." At Argyle Family Practice in Argyle TX, Drs. Christopher Hughes and William Musgrave help patients prevent heart disease.
Types of Heart Diseases
Heart disease refers to issues and deformities in the heart, as opposed to cardiovascular diseases, which are problems with the blood vessels. There are many types of heart diseases:
- Congenital heart disease: These are deformities present since birth, like septal defects, a hole between the two chambers of the heart.
- Arrhythmia: This is an irregular heartbeat because electrical impulses in the heart aren't properly coordinated. Examples of arrhythmia include tachycardia, when the heart beats too fast, and bradycardia, when the heart beats too slow.
- Coronary artery disease: Damaged coronary arteries, which are responsible for supplying the heart with nutrients and oxygen, reduces oxygen and nutrients.
- Heart failure: This is when the left or right side of the heart does not efficiently pump blood to the whole body. Coronary artery disease or high blood pressure can leave the heart too stiff or weak over time.
Preventing Heart Disease
Birth defects aren't preventable, but there are preventive measures to protect yourself against a pre-existing heart disease spiraling out of control or occurring.
Here's what you can do with the help of your Argyle TX doctor:
- Eat a balanced diet: low-fat (stick to mostly unsaturated fats), high-fiber, and fresh fruit and vegetables each day.
- Reduce the amount of salt and sugar in your diet.
- Regular exercise to strengthen the heart, reduce cholesterol, and maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Maintain healthy body weight and quit smoking.
Whom should you contact?
If you want to learn more about heart disease and how to prevent it, contact Drs. Christopher Hughes and William Musgrave at Argyle Family Practice in Argyle TX by calling (940) 226-4850 today!