About 55 million US adults have never been officially diagnosed with arthritis by a doctor, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Drs. Christopher Hughes and William Musgrave of Argyle Family Practice can diagnose and help treat patients in Argyle TX.
What is arthritis?
Arthritis describes hundreds of conditions and diseases that cause joint inflammation and lead to arthritis, which worsens with time. Arthritis causes bone and joint degeneration. It's also considered an autoimmune disease (immune system attacks the body) that causes widespread pain. There are a few different types of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriatic arthritis
Symptoms of Arthritis
Arthritis affects any joint, causing:
- Inflammation around joints
- Restricted joint movement
- Weakness in muscles
How does Argyle Family Practice treat arthritis?
Early detection at our Argyle TX office may prevent chronic health issues, disability, and joint damage.
- You need to give your doctor a full medical history so he can determine if arthritis is a possible diagnosis based on family history and/or your symptoms.
- Drs. Christopher Hughes or William Musgrave determine the type of arthritis using diagnostic tests, like blood tests and X-rays.
- Depending on the severity of your situation, your doctor creates a custom-made plan based on your symptoms, which joint has been affected and the degree of joint damage.
Treating Your Arthritis
There are conservative options available to patients, like:
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Disease-specific medication
- Physical therapy
- Counterirritants (topical creams)
- Joint injections (viscosupplementation).
If conservative treatments don't work, you may need surgery. Surgery is minimally invasive for fast recovery. If you want to consult your Argyle TX doctor about surgery, you should know this typically means replacing one or more of your affected joints, like your knee, ankle, shoulder, and hips.
Need to speak with a doctor?
If you would like to learn more about maintaining your health, call Argyle Family Practice, Drs. Christopher Hughes and William Musgrave in Argyle TX at (940) 226-4850.