How your doctors in Argyle, TX, can help with a sprain or strain.
It’s easy to hurt yourself, especially as you get older, are out of shape, or if you play a sport. Sprained or strained muscles, tendons, and ligaments are a common problem when you are active. You can also experience a strain or sprain when you do repetitive activities at work, or lift and carry heavy objects.
The good news is, your doctor can help you get relief from a sprain or a strain. Dr. Christopher Hughes and Dr. William Musgrave of Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, offer comprehensive family medical services, including treatment for a strain or a sprain.
You can do a lot to prevent sprains and strains if you:
- Stretch thoroughly before any vigorous activity
- Start out slowly when you begin an activity
- Wear the appropriate supportive footwear for the activity you are doing
- Stay in good physical condition and maintain a healthy weight
No matter how well prepared you are, injuries happen. There are a few simple things you can do to help heal a sprain or strain. You can try:
- Elevating the area to take the weight off of it
- Place ice on the area several times a day
- Bandage the area with compression bandages
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain medication
For bad sprains and strains, it’s best to visit your doctor. Professional treatments for sprains and strains include:
- Wearing a walking boot or cast if your sprain or strain involves your feet, ankles, or legs
- Using crutches to help you stay mobile
- Physical therapy and stretching exercises to help you regain strength, range-of-motion, and flexibility
- Taking prescription strength anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling and ease pain
A muscle, tendon, or ligament sprain or strain doesn’t have to keep you from doing the things you enjoy. Your doctor can help you heal faster, and with a great result. To find out more about treatment for strains and sprains, call Dr. Hughes and Dr. Musgrave of Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, at (940) 226-4850 today!