Your family practice doctors in Argyle, TX, can help when you have a cough.
Having a cough is a common problem, and it can be difficult to know what to do. Will the cough go away on its own, or should you seek out the help of your doctor. It’s an important question because a cough could also be a sign of a more serious medical problem.
Dr. Christopher Hughes and Dr. William Musgrave at Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, offer comprehensive medical care including treatment for a cough.
Coughs can be caused by a cold or the flu, or a more serious condition like pneumonia. A cough can also be a sign of allergies, asthma, or bronchitis.
When should you see a doctor?
According to the Mayo Clinic, you should seek out your doctor for treatment if you have a cough and:
- It doesn’t go away after a week or two
- You also have wheezing or shortness of breath
- You have a fever, or feel dizzy and lightheaded
- You are coughing up thick phlegm
- Your ankles are swollen
- You are losing weight
Your cough may also be a sign you need emergency treatment, so seek out immediate care if your cough is accompanied by:
- Chest pain
- Vomiting or choking
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Pink or bloody phlegm
There are some easy remedies you can try at home to get relief from a cough including:
- Take over-the-counter cough medicine but be sure to follow dosing instructions
- Suck on cough drops to keep your throat hydrated and ease your cough
- Place a humidifier in your home to help moisten dry air
- Take a steamy shower or bath
- Drink lots of warm fluids to loosen mucus
- Stay away from tobacco smoke
To find out more about causes and treatments for a cough, and other medical issues, talk with the experts by calling Dr. Hughes and Dr. Musgrave of Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, at (940) 226-4850. Get relief from your cough today!