How the flu vaccine from your doctors in Argyle, TX, can help you stay healthy.
Have you ever had the flu? If so, you already know how it can impact your life. The good news is, you can protect yourself from the potentially devastating effects of getting the flu. All it takes is getting the flu vaccine every year.
Dr. Christopher Hughes and Dr. William Musgrave at Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, offer a broad range of family medical services, including vaccinations to keep you healthy.
The effects of influenza vary person-to-person, depending on your age, physical characteristics, and any underlying health conditions you have. Influenza can cause symptoms like:
- Body aches and pains
- Fever and fatigue
- Nausea and vomiting
- Headaches and sinus problems
These issues can be mild to moderate and go away on their own most of the time. On the other hand, influenza can also attack various organs and muscles, causing permanent damage including:
- Pneumonia or lung damage
- Myocarditis or encephalitis
- Kidney or respiratory failure
According to the Centers for Disease Control, CDC, the people most at risk for developing complications from the flu are:
- People 65 years and older
- People with underlying conditions including asthma, diabetes, or heart disease
- Pregnant women
- Children under 5 years old
Fortunately, the flu vaccine has saved millions of lives around the world. When you get vaccinated against the flu, it can:
- Prevent you from becoming ill due to the flu
- Reduce the severity of your flu symptoms if you do get sick
- Decrease the likelihood you will need hospitalization due to the flu
- Help decrease the chance of a cardiac event if you have heart disease and get the flu
- Help decrease the chance of lung problems getting worse if you have COPD and then get the flu
You don’t want to get the flu, and the flu vaccine can help prevent it. To find out more about the importance of getting your flu vaccine, call Dr. Hughes and Dr. Musgrave of Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, at (940) 226-4850 now!