Posts for tag: Exercise
Regular exercise and visits with your family practice doctors in Argyle, TX, can help you stay healthy.
Regular exercise is important for many reasons. When you are active it helps you maintain a healthy weight, manage your stress, and boost your self-esteem. Exercise becomes even more important as you get older because it helps you stay mobile and flexible.
The only problem is, you can injure yourself while you are exercising. There are some important ways you can exercise safely. Dr. William Musgrave at Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, offer a broad range of family practice services, including lifestyle tips on how to exercise safely.
Ask your doctor before beginning any exercise regimen if the workout is right for you. Your doctor may also want to do a physical before you are beginning to exercise, to make sure it’s safe for you.
Before you exercise, it’s important to stretch out thoroughly. Stretching helps to warm up your muscles, tendons, and ligaments, getting them ready for exercise. When you are warmed up, it decreases your chances of suffering an injury.
Start out slowly with exercise, especially if you haven’t been active for a period of time or if you are new to your activity. You and your body need some time to get used to working out.
Always wear the appropriate footwear for the exercise you are doing. Foot, ankle, and leg injuries from exercising are very common, and wearing the right shoes can help prevent them.
Avoid high-impact activities like running or tennis if you have joint problems or are older. Instead, you should start out with low-impact activities like swimming or walking.
A few simple steps like those listed above can help you exercise safely. Exercise provides many health benefits like lowering blood pressure, controlling weight, and looking your best. Exercise also helps give your mood a boost.
To find out more about how you can exercise safely and stay healthy, call Dr. Musgrave of Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, at (940) 226-4850 today!
Improve your health and daily function in every way by exercising regularly. At Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, our physicians, Dr. William Musgrave, promote physical activity as a mainstay of preventive health care.
Your healthy body
It needs good food, adequate hydration and regular exercise to maintain excellent function. Healthline reports that even moderate exercise just a few times a week impacts you head to toe, improving your strength, endurance, mood and more.
At Argyle Family Practice, we believe in helping our patients prevent acute diseases, such as the flu, and chronic diseases, such as hypertension and diabetes. When you come to our Argyle, TX, office, we will ask about your exercise routine, but don't worry. We are not expecting Olympic level training, but rather, aerobic exercise, such as swimming, walking or biking, three times a week for 20 to 30 minutes. Frankly, your physiological, emotional and mental health will thrive with simple movement.
The benefits of exercise
There are numerous and apply to people of all ages, medical histories and lifestyles. Here are some of the most common:
- Increased metabolic rate, physical endurance and calorie burn. If you're trying to maintain a healthy weight, exercise is crucial as it increases your heart rate, makes your breathing more efficient and increases muscle mass.
- Better flexibility and range of motion. Tired of feeling stiff? Exercise improves range of motion in every joint and reduces the impact of arthritic changes.
- Better mood. As you exercise, neurotransmitters norepinephrine and serotonin increase and are used more efficiently by the brain. Mood evens, and depressive episodes decrease. So do chronic pain and fatigue.
- Improved sleep. Science Direct reports that you'll experience better and longer sleep at night when you're active throughout the day. In fact, you will sleep better by about 65 percent.
- Efficient mental function and memory.
- Stronger muscles and bones.
- Maintenance of healthy blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol levels.
What are your health goals?
At Argyle Family Practice, Dr. William Musgrave ask their patients to be proactive about their health goals--lose weight, quit tobacco, eat a nutritious diet and exercise. We look forward to your annual physical and to helping you adjust your lifestyle to prevent both chronic and acute diseases. Call our Argyle, TX, office today to make your appointment: (940) 226-4850.