Posts for tag: Healthy Eating Habits
Improving your eating habits offers an easy way to boost your immune system and decrease your risk of developing diabetes, high blood pressure and other chronic conditions and diseases. The family practice physicians at Argyle Family Practice in Argyle, TX, Dr. William Musgrave, can help you embrace healthy eating, lose weight and manage chronic conditions.
Have you tried these healthy eating habits?
Healthy eating doesn't have to involve drastic or expensive changes to your diet. In fact, trying a few of these tips will help you improve the way you eat:
- Follow Healthy Eating Plate Recommendations: The Healthy Eating Plate is an easy-to-understand system that helps you make smart food choices. Every time you eat, fill half of your plate with vegetables and fruit; 1/4 with proteins like fish, chicken or beans; and the remaining 1/4 with whole grains, like barley, quinoa, brown rice and whole-wheat pasta.
- Make Water Your Beverage of Choice: Sugary beverages add extra calories that may increase your weight and raise your risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cavities. Water is a much healthier beverage than fruit juice, soda and other drinks high in sugar.
- Choose Healthy Snacks: Swap cookies, candy and potato chips for carrot sticks, celery, apples, oranges and other fruits and vegetables.
- Stay Away from Fried and Processed Foods: Bake chicken, steak, potatoes and other favorite foods instead of frying them. Avoid or limit processed foods too, as they may contain high amounts of salt, sugar and fat. Processed foods include packaged bread and baked goods, ice cream, hot dogs, bacon, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, canned soup, crackers and potato chips.
- Save Sugary and High-Carbohydrate Foods for Special Occasions: Turning down a piece of birthday cake requires almost super-human willpower. Fortunately, you can still eat healthily and have occasional treats. Limit cakes, cookies, white pasta and other foods to special occasions, like birthdays, holidays or special restaurant meals.
- Cook with Healthy Fats: Substitute olive, peanut or coconut oils for butter, margarine, shortening and lard.
Boost your health with better eating habits and visits to Dr. William Musgrave of Argyle Family Practice. Call their Argyle, TX, office at (940) 226-4850 to schedule an appointment.